About the Friends
The Friends of Bedfordshire Youth Music is an association of parents and other well-wishers of young musicians throughout the county.
Established as a registered charity in 1971, The Friends support the work of the Bedfordshire Music Trust and and the music services of Central Bedfordshire and Bedford Borough, together with that of Milton Keynes and the Borough of Luton, in promoting and sustaining musical performance by the young people of Bedfordshire.
The President of The Friends is Evelyn Glennie DBE, the famous percussionist. The current chairman of The Friends is Michael Martin.
What do the Friends do?
The work of The Friends encompasses:
- Providing financial assistance to students from less affluent families, so that they can take part in the County's Holiday Music Courses and Saturday Music Centres. Click here to obtain further information.
- Providing specialist instruments and printed music for the County's Youth Orchestras, Bands and Choirs, as well as for students in the County's schools.
- Sponsoring special music events for children in the County's schools.
- Raising money by:
- Organizing raffles and taking collections at concerts.
- Making and selling tape recordings of concert performances.
- Marketing Bedfordshire Youth Music merchandise.
- Holding fund-raising events.
- Organising stewarding at concerts.
- Publishing a termly Newsletter, containing reports on all Holiday Courses.
What can I do?
Join The Friends
Click here to download the membership form.
Print out the form and then send it to the Membership Secretary at the address shown on the second page.
Contact The Membership Secretary
Click here to raise any matter relating to membership of the Friends.